HSV is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
This Policy contains important information about your personal rights to privacy. Please read it carefully to understand how we use your personal data. We may update this Policy from time to time without notice to you, so please check it regularly. The provision of your personal data to us is voluntary. However, without providing us with your personal data, you will be unable to sign a petition, start a petition or make a donation.
You may give us your personal data in order to start a petition, sign a petition, when you share information about a petition from our website on Facebook, Twitter and/or via email, when you contact us by phone, email or post or when you donate money to us.
Your information may be shared with us by, others including users of our services, independent event organisers, other fundraising entities, sponsors and supporters of our organisation and services. Your information will also be provided to us when you follow us or otherwise interact with on or via Twitter, when you like and/or join our page on Facebook or interact with us in other ways on or via Facebook.
We may combine information you provide to us with information available from external publicly available sources. Depending on your privacy settings for social media services, we may also access information from those accounts or services. We use this information to gain a better understanding of you and to improve our communications and fundraising activities.
What information we collect
- When you sign a petition, start a petition, donate, register online, contact us, or interact with us in any other way, we will receive personal information about you, such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, debit or credit card details.
- If you use your credit or debit card to donate to us, we will ensure that this is done securely and in accordance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard. You can find out more information about PCI DSS here.
- In certain instances, we collect and use your personal information by relying on the legitimate interest legal basis. This is because when you, for example, request to receive services from us, we have a legitimate organisational interest to use your personal information to respond to you and there is no overriding prejudice to you by using your personal information for this purpose.
- In most instances, however, we will rely on obtaining your consent to our use of your personal information. This is the case, for example, where we seek to obtain your consent to receive email marketing.
- Email/SMS marketing: If you actively provide your consent to us along with your email address and/or mobile phone number, we may contact you for marketing purposes by email or text message. By opting in, you grant us the right to contact you for marketing purposes.
- Post/Telephone marketing: If you have provided us with your postal address or telephone number we may send you direct mail or telephone you about our work unless you have told us that you would prefer not to receive such information.
- Information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website including your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of page views.
How is information is used?
- We use your personal information to give you the information, support, services, or products you ask for.
- We use your information to gain a full understanding of your situation so we can develop and offer you the best possible personalised services.
- We use your information for internal administrative purposes (such as our accounting and records), and to let you know about changes to our services or policies or to ask you for feedback.
- We may use your information to send you communications about our work and how you can help us to help you, for example, information about our campaigns and activities. You can let us know if you would prefer not to receive these communications at any time by emailing [email protected]
- We may combine your information with other information (for example, from public records or on social media) and create a profile of your interests and preferences. We do this to help us determine whether and in what ways you might be interested in helping us or getting involved in our activities.
- We use your personal information look into, and respond to, complaints, legal claims or other issues.
- We use your information make petition submissions to third parties, where you have signed the petition and the third party is a target of the campaign to which the petition relates
- Some non-personally identifiable information may also be used for the following purposes:
- Marketing statistical analysis
- Analyse our digital performance
- Customer admin and support
- Technical admin
Who is information shared with?
We will never share, sell or swap your details with any third parties for the purposes of their own marketing or the monetising of your data. We may disclose your personal information in the following circumstances:
- To suppliers or service providers only to provide the products or services you’ve requested from us.
- To trusted third parties who work with us in connection with our purposes, to provide our updates and marketing information (subject to your communication preferences and our internal policies and procedures).
- We require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and data protection laws and we will make sure that appropriate controls are in place.
- Where we are under a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies), or in order to enforce or apply our rights (including in relation to our website or other applicable terms and conditions) or to protect us, for example in cases of suspected fraud or defamation.
- We may from time to time supply you with information from partner organisations in accordance with your consent, but we will not share your personal information with them. If you have opted in, you can expect to receive Islamic related content from:
Islamic organisations and charities
Islamic banking & financial institutions
Third party websites
This website may include links to other sites, not owned or managed by us. We cannot be held responsible for the privacy of information collected by websites not managed by us. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies whatsoever as we have no control over them.
We use information derived from cookies in order to:
- compile statistics on how our website is being used, which can help us to improve our website and online services.
- facilitate users’ ability to navigate through the website.
- ascertain whether the website is operating effectively.
- personalise and improve the service we offer you by understanding your preferences and establishing which areas of the website are most relevant to you.
Third party cookies: We also use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide an advertisement about goods and services that may be of interest to you.
Managing cookies: In your web browser you can control which types of cookies you allow. You can turn cookies on or off using your browser’s settings. You can also delete cookies and clear your browser’s cache (history).
We do not knowingly process data of any person under the age of 16. If we have reason to believe that you are 15 and under and we are holding your personal information, we will delete that information within a reasonable period and withhold our services accordingly.
We endeavour to ensure that there are appropriate and proportionate technical and organisational measures to prevent the loss, destruction, misuse, alteration, unauthorised disclosure or of access to your personal information.
Your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff, volunteers and contractors.
We may also use agencies and/or suppliers to process data on our behalf. Please note that some countries outside of the EEA have a lower standard of protection for personal data, including lower security requirements and fewer rights for individuals. We may transfer and/or store personal data collected from you to and/or at a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). Such personal data may be processed by agencies and/or suppliers operating outside the EEA. If we transfer and/or store your personal data outside the EEA we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient implements appropriate measures to protect your personal data.
Your right to Personal Information
Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you have a right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. You also have the right to request us to erase your personal information, request us to restrict our processing of your personal information or to object to our processing of your personal information.
Should you wish to exercise these rights we require you to prove your identity with two pieces of approved identification. Please address requests to the Data Protection Manager at [email protected] Please provide as much information as possible about the nature of your contact with us to help us locate your records.
Where you have provided your consent for our use of your personal information, you always have a right to withdraw your consent at any time.
It is always your choice as to whether you want to receive information about our work and the ways you can get involved. If you do not want us to use your personal information in these ways, please indicate your preferences on the form on which we collect your personal information.
We will not use your personal information for marketing purposes if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted by us for such purposes. However, we may retain your details on suppression lists to help ensure that we do not continue to contact you.
You can opt-out of receiving direct information from us at any time. Simply contact [email protected] to let us know your updated communication preferences.
We are required to have one or more lawful grounds to process your personal information. Only 3 of these are relevant to us:
- Personal information is processed on the basis of a person’s consent
- Personal information is processed on the basis of legal obligations
- Personal information is processed on the basis of legitimate interests
We will ask for your consent to use your information to send you electronic communications such as newsletters and marketing and fundraising emails, for targeted advertising and profiling, and if you ever share sensitive personal information with us.
Sometimes we will be obliged to process your personal information due to legal obligations which are binding on us. We will only ever do so when strictly necessary.
The applicable law allows personal information to be collected and used if it is reasonably necessary for our legitimate activities (as long as its use is fair, balanced and does not unduly impact individuals’ rights). We will rely on this ground to process your personal data when it is not practical or appropriate to ask for consent.
Changes to this policy